College of Nursing
College of Nursing at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, Islamabad has been in existence since February 1987 and was initiated through friendly cooperation between the Japanese and Pakistan Governments with funds from JICA. Total covered area of the college is 70,000 sqft. The College of Nursing imparts post basis training in the specialized field of nursing with at least 5years experience after being qualified nurse.
Aims and objective of the college were to provide competent nurses, head nurses, clinical supervisors and nursing incharge in specialized nursing program. Utilizes the nursing process to provide nursing care to the patient in the hospital and community with emphasis on primary health care. The purpose of the college was also to prepare professional nurses who utilize advanced knowledge and technologies in the nursing practice with clients in their respective specialties as well as professional nurses who are able to promote and environment facilities to life long learning.
College of Nursing comprises of Principal, Medical Officers, Instructors and other officials.
Qualified from all over the country are selected/nominated for various training program for one year like;
- Anesthesia Nursing
- Intensive Care Unit/Coronary Care Unit
- Operation Theatre Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Psychiatric Nursing
The theory and demonstration classes are held at the college and clinics are at the appropriate departments of Islamabad Hospital and children's Hospital, with field visits to the places, related to nursing specialization. The teaching is carried by the faculty of the college as well as specialists of PIMS and guests lecturer according the courses offered. College of Nursing has its academic council and their rules regarding all activities of the college. courses are for two years
- College has the facilities under mentioned;
- Administration Block
- Education block
- Main Lecture hall
for 122 students
Total percentage of graduate nurses during March 1987 to December 1999 was 92.14%
To provide the educational resources needed to meet the academic and research demands of the faculty and students. We work together to help them for advancement of medical education & effective utilization of medical information & knowledge, information management & access to the world's medical literature.
The Library is committed to provide a safe, comfortable and clean environment to its users. Library users are expected to follow the policies. Prohibited activities inside the library are:
- Loud or disruptive behavior.
- Harassment, threatening and dangerous behavior.
- Destruction or defacement of library materials & equipment’s.
- Theft of library materials.
b. Food and drinks
Beverages in closed and open containers are not permitted in the library. There is also no food stuff permitted in the library.
c. Cell phones
Talking on cell phones is not permitted in the library.
All the registered users are entitled to borrow books. Lending privileges differ for various categories. Please enquire at the circulation desk.
e. Library Collection
Our library collection aims to meet the teaching needs of the institute's academic programmes and to build a significant and distinctive scholarly research collection.
- Reference Collection
Library provides efficient and reliable reference services under the supervision of professional staff. Users may address through queries telephone call or e-mail to Library. It includes general & medical dictionaries, books & medical journals and other reference material, in print and electronic form.
- General Collection
It includes general books, Islamic, Urdu & English literature.
f. Library Staff
They should be on hand to provide instructions and guidance to use the appropriate resources in the library.
g. Library Timings
8:30 am to 1:45 pm (Monday to Saturday). Library will remain closed on Sunday & Public Holidays.
If you require any further information, contact Library at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library membership is open to all students, faculty, of college of Nursing (CON) and College of Medical Technology (CMT). Every user must fill a library membership form, duly signed & stamped by a concerned department head. The form is available at library counter.
- Student Library cards shall be issued to the students by the Incharge Library.
- The cards are not transferable.
- Members are requested to bring their cards, as these are used for identification and issue/receipt of books.
- Membership cards remains the property of the CON and must be returned when membership expires.
- Members must notify to the Librarian about any change of their present residential addresses.
- Loss of a card should be reported without delay to concerned deptt.
- Duplicate card may be issued by the concerned department as per policy.
Authority: The library shall be under the control of the Principal CON for day to day management.
Objective: To provide prompt services to all faculty, students and staff of CON, CMT.
Scope: To provide the better study environment & up to date material and information.
General Rules for All
The library remains open during working days.
- All faculty, students & staff should fill the library membership form.
- Every member should show his/her card to prove identification at circulation counter.
- Issued books should be returned by those library members, who should go on any long vacations.
- Submit any book for inspection, when requested by the circulation counter staff.
- Do not write, underline or mark any book. Library books are carefully examined on return and the borrower will be responsible for any damage and replacement. In case, a book is lost or damaged by any member, the same will be replaced with a new one or a fine equivalent to the cost of the book (market rate) will be charged.
- If any member mislays a book and unable to find it after a thorough search, the same will be replaced with a new one or a fine equivalent to the cost of the book (market rate) will be charged.
- Please, do not reshelf the books.
- Reference books, newspapers and periodicals, audio-visual material can only be used in the library.
- Librarian can withdraw any book if required for specific purpose. i.e. for yearly stock taking etc.
- All books and other materials available in library should be used with care, because the replacement is very difficult due to high cost.
- Members are advised to make use of photocopies service instead of mutilating the books & other material.
- Computers are provided in IT lab for Digital Library etc. No student is allowed to use his / her own CDs or flash drives without the permission of computer lab incharge.
- Group study and discussion is not allowed in library.
- Leave your personal belongings such as books, folders, handbags, briefcases, etc. outside the library entrance.
- Complete silence should be observed except brief talk with the library staff at the circulation desk.
Textbooks & Lending Rules for Students
- Every student will arrange him/herself all the prescribed textbooks.
- Students can borrow two books for a period of 14 days. If the date of return takes place on a holiday, you may return books on next working day.
- A book can be re-issued twice, if any other student does not require the same.
- If a student leaves the college without returning the book(s), a fine equivalent of the original cost of book(s) will be deducted from his/her admission fee security and book(s) will be written off from library ledger/ record.
Lending Rules for Faculty Members /Staff
- Nursing Instructors, teachers can borrow 05 books for unlimited period.
- Staff can borrow 01 book for a period of 30 days.
- A book can be re-issued twice, if any other faculty/ staff member does not require the same.
- All faculty members & students are advised to avoid discussion/ loud voice on any matter, political or friendly in the library because of silent environment for readers.
- Library member having any grievance or complaint will bring the matter to the notice of Librarian. False complaints are liable to the considered as offense and dealt with accordingly.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in library.
- Drinks & eatables are not allowed in the library.
- Mobile phone conversation is strictly prohibited.
- Mutilation of the library material & any violation of these rules will have serious disciplinary action.
- Dress code will be observed.
- Children less than 10 years of age will not be allowed to enter the Library premises.
Return of Library Material
Following rules will apply:-
- Borrowers may be informed to return the books if required for some special purpose i.e. stock taking. Such recalled items must be returned as soon as possible, irrespective of the due date.
- All borrowed books will be returned within the stipulated period. Reminders will be issued to those borrowers, who will not return the books within the prescribed period.
- Fine will be charged from students against all the books, returned after the due date. While returning the books, members will ensure that entries are completed by the library staff in their presence.
Damage/Loss of Library Material
- Loss of any items must be reported to library staff at once; users will be considered personally responsible and all costs associated with replacing lost or damaged items will be charged to the borrower.
Loss/damage will involve payment as given below
- Latest market rates in case of books available in the market.
- Cost of book in case of old books and foreign publications not available in Pakistan.
- Cost of the complete set will be charged in case the book is part of a set containing more than one volume.
- Library is working with the specific aim to provide the students and faculty with state of the art Library. Following facilities are available for members.
- Library has extensive collection on health sciences including general subjects.
- Library has subscribed print medical journals and access to digital databases. Back issues of the medical journals are also available in the library.
- Library has subscribed national newspapers for users & press clippings.
Services The following services have provided by library to all readers.
Inquiry and Advisory Services
- Staff is available for advice on all aspects of library use. They answer general and specific questions on all educational topics and related subjects to provide help to library users in literature exploration from resources available in print and other media.
- Circulation is the main task of the library, in which books are issued/ returned as per lending policy. Library staff is readily available at circulation counter.
- In order to facilitate the students with the library's services, procedures and resources, an orientation programme has conducted at the beginning of course/degree/diploma of each discipline.
- Students are informed about the library's resources, how they can effectively use these resources.
- Students are also taught about the use of online catalogue, including hands-on practice on how to search the online catalogue.
- They are also informed with the library rules and regulations.
- Demonstrations on accessing electronic resources are arranged time to time for all in the IT resource center including individual sessions.
New Arrivals and Contents Alert Services
- Lists of new books and new journals received in the library are shared to all user.
- Library materials can be borrowed for photocopying.
- Photocopy service is not available in the library and in bookshop on a payment basis. However, a complete book is not allowed to be photocopied, as per copyright regulations.
- Print of a Journal's article can be acquired, if full text is available online. However, the library will provide to users.
Reference and Customer Service (Document Delivery Service)
- The library has providing the document delivery services for its members via email.
- The reference services are provided based on available entire/ online data.
Internet and Intranet Services
- The library has shared data electronically to all members anywhere of the world
- Library has provided online journal articles services on demand through our library blog.
- Library has provided e-library services to users. A vast collection is available in library and users can use from anywhere.
- Library circulation comprises the activities around the lending of library books and other material to users. A circulation or lending is one of the key task of a library.
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) Services
- Online catalogue can check by everyone anywhere & access has provided to all registered members through library software. Registered member should use user page https://manyonlinebooks.blogspot.com/
The registered members can use the library for digital access to:
- College of Nursing
- College of Medical Technology(Use login and password)
- Islamabad Hospital
- Children Hospital
- Mother and Childhood Hospital
- Burn Centre, Breast Cancer etc.
E-library comprises of books and articles etc materials. Users shall use from anywhere.
PIMS Hospital E-Databases provided by HEC Islamabad
- Taylor and Francis
- Wiley-Blackwell Journals
- Wolters Kluwer OVID SP
- Free Medical Journals (International Journals)
If you want to login your library account, Contact with Incharge Library, College of Nursing
A library login page has opened where you enter your login ID and password
Contact Manager Library at email@example.com login ID & password.